Illegal Vietnamese fishermen detained2:42

 Source: Cairns Post

The occupants of an illegal Vietnamese fishing boat have been detained in Cairns. Courtesy: Department of Immigration and Border Protection

VIETNAMESE fishermen have been apprehended off the coastline of Cairns with a haul of nearly 2.5 tonnes of poached sea cucumbers.

Fifteen crew members were on board the vessel that was caught near Lihou Reef in the Coral Sea, about 630km southeast of Cairns, by Maritime Border Command (MBC).

The boat was spotted by an MBC surveillance aircraft on February 3 and later pursued by Australian Border Force cutter Storm Bay.

media_camera15 Vietnamese fishermen disembark from a border force boat at Portsmith Cairns after being apprehended off Cairns’ coast with 2.4 tonnes of poached sea cucumbers. PICTURE: JUSTIN BRIERTY

The crew and their vessel were apprehended and taken to Cairns yesterday for further investigation by the Australian Fisheries Management Authority and Parks Australia for breaking environmental and fisheries laws.

The 2.4 tonnes of sea cucumbers and 10 large dried fish, that were also seized, were disposed of at sea.

It is the 10th foreign boat caught since July last year with a majority snared in northern Australian waters.

MBC acting commander Stephen Alexander said it should serve as a warning to illegal foreign fishers that this behaviour would not be tolerated in Australian waters.

media_camera15 Vietnamese fishermen disembark from a border force boat at Portsmith Cairns after being apprehended off Cairns’ coast with 2.4 tonnes of poached sea cucumbers. PICTURE: JUSTIN BRIERTY

“Australia’s maritime domain exceeds 10 million square kilometres, but no matter where these boats are, our officers will continue to work tirelessly and, in collaboration with our partners, to ensure that Australia’s waters remain free from illegal fishing,” he said.

Parks Australia marine compliance director Dr Andrew Read said Lihou Reef had been a sanctuary since 1982 and was one of the nation’s most pristine reef ecosystems.

media_cameraA Vietnamese fishing vessel suspected of illegally fishing in Australian waters has been apprehended off the coast of Cairns.

“Ensuring illegal fishing activities, including foreign fishing are stopped, is essential for the protection and conservation of this highly valued marine habitat,” he said.

In recent months there has been a spike in the number of Vietnamese fishing vessels sighted and apprehended in Australia’s northeastern waters, and the waters of Papua New Guinea, Palau and New Caledonia.

The activity is being driven by increased prices for sea cucumbers on the world market.

Advertisements

Phone-cracking firm Cellebrite hacked

Source: BBC

Information about the customers of Cellebrite, an Israeli firm that markets hacking tools, has been stolen in a cyber-attack.

 

The breach was first reported by tech site Motherboard, which said it was sent 900 gigabytes of data by a hacker.

Cellebrite confirmed some information had been taken but said it was not aware of any “increased risk” to clients.

The firm added that it was now notifying affected customers.

Motherboard said the data – which was not distributed online – included “what appears to be evidence files from seized mobile phones, and logs from Cellebrite devices”.

However, Cellebrite did not respond to this in its statement.

When contacted by the BBC, a spokesman said its investigation was ongoing and it had no further information to add.

The firm did say that it recently detected “unauthorised access” on an external web server – activity it described as “illegal” – and that it had launched an investigation into the incident.

It added that the data taken related to an older user account system.

Last year, Cellebrite was linked to the FBI’s attempt to hack an iPhone used by San Bernardino killer Syed Rizwan Farook. The firm has neither confirmed nor denied involvement.

“The information accessed includes basic contact information of users registered for alerts or notifications on Cellebrite products and hashed passwords for users who have not yet migrated to the new system,” the company said.

Cellebrite advised users of the my.Cellebrite system to change their passwords.

“The sort of people who use Cellebrite products don’t necessarily want others to know that they’re using it,” said Prof Alan Woodward, a cybersecurity expert at the University of Surrey.

“Law enforcement agencies and perhaps security services will be using it.”

In 2015, hackers stole data from Italian surveillance company Hacking Team and released it on to the web.

The dump included information on countries that had bought Hacking Team products.

“It’s a direct analogy I would say,” Prof Woodward told the BBC. “The embarrassment factor is going to be the same.”

Shadow brokers’ farewell

Separately, 58 hacking tools for Windows PCs were released on to the web by a group calling itself “Shadow Brokers”.

The group announced the release in a farewell message, having attempted to auction the malware online last year. At the time, Shadow Brokers claimed it had been stolen from the NSA.

Besides the newly released files, Shadow Brokers said a full cache of exploits had been left online at a price of 750 bitcoins (£500,000).

Many of the exploits were not “zero days” – attack methods that have not yet been uncovered – but ones that had already been detected by cybersecurity firm Kaspersky, according to one analyst.

“Nobody was willing to pay them,” said Prof Woodward. “They sort of stomped off in a huff, basically.”

Prof Woodward added that while some of the exploits looked “sophisticated” there was no proof that any of the data had been taken from the NSA.

US visa-free residency for Cubans ‘ends’

Source: BBC

President Barack Obama has ended the longstanding policy that grants residency to Cubans who arrive in the US without visas, US media report.

The 20-year-old policy allows Cuban migrants who reach US soil to become legal permanent residents after a year.

In exchange, Havana has agreed to start accepting Cubans who are turned away or deported from the US.

The move comes as President Obama tries to continue the thawing of relations with Cuba in his final days of office.

It is unclear where relations between the two countries will go now.

His successor, President-elect Donald Trump, has taken a much tougher stance and could reverse the change.

Until now, this so-called “wet foot, dry foot” policy has applied solely to Cubans.

Other immigrants who come to the US without a visa could be arrested and deported.

A joint statement by the US and Cuba is expected later on Thursday, unnamed officials told Associated Press.

US watchdog to probe FBI Clinton email actions

Source: BBC

A US government watchdog has launched an investigation into actions taken by the FBI during the election campaign.

FBI director James Comey’s decision to reopen an investigation into Hillary Clinton’s email server 11 days before the election shook up the race.

The Department of Justice (DoJ) Inspector General Michael Horowitz said he would look into “certain actions” by the FBI and DoJ.

Mrs Clinton was cleared of any wrongdoing days before the US voted.

Her campaign team has blamed the FBI announcement as a key factor why she lost the election to Donald Trump.

The announcement on Thursday does not mention Hillary Clinton by name but refers to public disclosures by Mr Comey.

Mr Horowitz said his review would look at a news conference in July 2016 when Mr Comey said he would not recommend charges for Mrs Clinton.

A letter to Congress on 28 October, in which Mr Comey said there were more emails to look at, will also be subject to this new inquiry.

An explosive move – Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington

It seems the 2016 election isn’t going to go gently into that good night. Thanks to this decision by the Justice Department inspector general, one of the more controversial moments of the recently concluded presidential campaign is going to be given closer scrutiny.

Hillary Clinton and her campaign team say FBI Director James Comey’s two interventions close to election day cost her the presidency. It certainly knocked the Democrat off her stride and dominated headlines, allowing Donald Trump – who had been staggered by sexual harassment allegations – to regain his political footing.

They also contend that the action violated Justice Department guidelines and was an overtly partisan act from a law enforcement agency that should be apolitical. Perhaps they will view this announcement as bittersweet vindication.

The scope of the review covers more than just Mr Comey’s actions throughout the campaign, however. It will also address concerns expressed by Republicans that some lower-level FBI officials may have improperly shared information with the Clinton campaign.

Depending on how this investigation is conducted, and the conclusions it draws, the fuse may have just been lit on a stick of political dynamite that will explode later in the year.

The inspector general said his investigation had come in response to “numerous” requests from the public and from members of Congress.

Mrs Clinton said she had set up a home email server for reasons of convenience, but admitted it was a mistake.

In clearing her in July, the FBI said Mrs Clinton and her staff were “extremely careless” in handling classified materials.

But there was no evidence of intentional wrongdoing, it said.

Then in October they briefly reopened the investigation after finding new related emails from top Clinton aide Huma Abedin.

They were found on a laptop belonging to her estranged husband, disgraced former congressman Anthony Weiner, but nothing was found on them and the case was closed for a second time.

Chrome, Safari, and Opera Browsers might be leaking your private information

Source: fossBytes

We often praise the autofill features of our web browsers for saving us from all the troubles of typing the details like email address, passwords, address, phone numbers, etc.

But, these features come along with some serious security risks too.

A web developer and hacker named Viljami Kuosmanen has found a flaw that’s affecting different browsers and plugins. According to his revelation, web browsers like Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Opera, and plugins like LastPass can be exploited to leak sensitive personal information.

Browser autofill phishing in Chrome, Safari, and Opera

The phishing attack described by the hacker is very simple in application. When you fill your information in text boxes, autofill enters the profile-based information in form fields hidden from the user.

Mozilla’s Firefox is immune to this problem as it is yet to implement a multi-box autofill system, so, it can’t be tricked into filling text boxes.

Interestingly, this attack is triggered when users enter at least one information in some online form. To avert such attacks, the users are advised to disable the autofill function in their web browser.

Kim Kardashian West: Several held over Paris robbery

Source: BBC

Sixteen people have been arrested in connection with an armed robbery of Kim Kardashian West in Paris in October, officials say.

Authorities said at the time that the American reality TV star was robbed at gunpoint by at least two men dressed as police officers.

The men entered Kardashian West’s luxury apartment before tying her up and locking her in the bathroom.

They escaped with an estimated €10m (£8.7m; $10.5m) in jewellery.

French police said that traces of DNA left at the scene led to the arrests.

The men were detained in early morning raids in the Paris region, Normandy and the French Riviera following three months of investigations.

“One of the DNA samples matched an individual known to police for robbery and criminal offences,” police said.

Following the discovery, French police kept the man under surveillance, along with those he came into contact with, the BBC has learned.

Kardashian West, who is married to the rapper Kanye West, said she feared she was going to be killed at the time. The star was left badly shaken but unhurt.

“They’re going to shoot me in the back,” Kardashian West is heard telling her sisters in a promotional clip for the new season of the US show Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

The 36-year-old mother-of-two, who became a household name thanks to the reality TV series, was in the French capital at the time of the robbery for Paris Fashion Week, with her mother Kris Jenner and her sister Kendall Jenner.

Act will not censor social media: NICTA

Source: Looppng

The Cybercrime Act will not be used to gag public complaints in the media.

Charles Punaha, the National Information and Communication Technology Authority (NICTA) CEO, said the Act, passed by Parliament in 2016, will not be a form of censorship on mainstream and social media.

“We respect freedom of information and speeches as provided for under the Constitution, but let me also specify that those freedom are referred to by law as qualified rights, meaning that people should not abuse those freedom to commit (crimes) against other people,” Punaha said.

“Our code will be developed within the confines of the law, the existing legislation and mindful to facilitate and respect the freedom provided for.”

However, many of Loop PNG readers think the Act is a smokescreen by the government to protect them from public scrutiny, especially on Facebook.

These are some of the comments on our news site.

“It is censorship your highness. You are telling us to watch our mouths when criticising public, elected officials – a norm in any democracy. Isn’t that the same as prohibiting people from watching certain movies, etc?” wrote a reader.

“People or so-called leaders are pushing around to have media under their control. (It) is to protect themselves from their corrupt practises so where does this freedom of speech come in play, shame on you leaders for pushing this agenda around to pass that law,” Arnold Mara commented.

“We need freedom of speech in our country! We all know that the media in PNG is being controlled by the Government, we need social media to expose corruption and the truth on our Parliamentarians and senior public servants’ immoral and unethical behaviours,” another reader commented.

Meanwhile, under the new Act, the three mobile phone operators must register all their users before the end of 2017.

“We remind subscribers that the number of days has been reduced, and we have 12 months left and they must register now,” Punaha said.

He added that they are in constant dialogue with the mobile operators and are confident with the current progress of SIM card registration.